Robert Scheer’s Black Bean Burritos
- 4 10” flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans diced green chilies
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 oz. of cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- small bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- Optional: shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350˚
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil or place in a tortilla warmer and put in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté 5 – 6 minutes. Add red peppers and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add beans , green chilies and diced tomato to skillet. Season with cumin, chili powder and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Chop cream cheese into 1” cubes and add to pan. Heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted and mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, spoon bean mixture down the center of warmed tortillas. Roll and serve with shredded cheese, if desired.