This versatile and easy-going soup is a great way to use up the bountiful summer produce on hand this time of year. You can add whatever herbs and vegetables you have available to create your own unique combinations – just be sure to allow enough time for whatever you add to fully cook (without becoming mushy).
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced small
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2 celery stalks, cleaned and diced small
- ½ cup yellow pepper, cut into small chunks
- ½ cup red pepper, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup fresh kale, washed ribs removed and torn into small chunks
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, crushed (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, crushed (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional Garnish: Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- Add olive oil and onion to a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, carrots, celery and peppers and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add kale to pan and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes, until it wilts. Add the fresh herbs and wine and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add fresh lemon juice. Add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano ribbons and serve with crusty bread.
Here is a video of a vegan vegetarian cooking demonstration