Robert Scheer’s Fresh Guacamole
- 2 ripe Haas Avocados
- 1 ripe fresh tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 large clove fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon (+ extra for garnish) fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- With a sharp knife, slice the avocado from top to bottom, cutting all the way around the fruit. Place the avocado in the palm of your non-dominant hand and gently the top half clockwise until it easily separates into two pieces.
- To remove the seed, “whack” the seed with your sharp knife so the blade sticks into it. Gently turn the knife until the seed pops out.
- To dice, score the avocado while still in its skin but cutting equally sized slices from top to bottom. Then, rotate 90 degrees and do the same thing going side to side. This combination of horizontal and vertical cuts will give you equal sized chunks of diced avocado.
- To remove from skin, take a spoon and gently scrape all on the bottom of the flesh (where it meets the skin) until all your diced chunks are removed.
- Place diced avocado in bowl. Add diced tomato, garlic, lime juice and fresh cilantro to bowl and combine with a fork. Season with salt, pepper and additional lime juice, if desired.
- Serve with favorite Mexican entrees or on its own with crunchy tortilla chips.