This is my favourite dish to bring whenever I am invited to a pot luck supper. Of course, this is traditional slow food, so it would not be appropriate for last-minute invitations. Serves 8.
- · 2 lbs white navy beans, pre-soaked and drained
- · 2 medium onions, chopped
- · 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- · 1 cup brown sugar
- · 3/4 cup ketchup
- · 5 tablespoons molasses
- · 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- · 1 teaspoon salt
- · 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Either soak the beans overnight, or use the quick-soak method, covering with water, boiling for a full minute, and then turning off heat, covering, and leaving them to soften for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Put drained beans, vegetables and seasoning into a large crock or Bean Pot - a 5-liter size works nicely.
- Pour enough water in to cover the beans.
- Cover and bake for about six hours, checking occasionally after 3 hours, and adding additional water if necessary to keep beans from getting too dry.
- Cornbread makes a tasty accompaniment.