This mushroom risotto recipe goes “old school” with its traditional “stand and stir” technique. This approach may take a bit more time, but the results are well worth the effort.
When making this recipe, don’t be tempted to substitute other forms of rice because they won’t deliver the coveted rich, creamy texture you’re after. Most groceries stores carry Arborio Rice, or you can easily find it online.
- 4 cups vegetable broth, heated
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3 T. unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- ½ c. dry white wine
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stems removed, leaves very finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat vegetable broth until hot.
- Add olive oil, one tablespoon butter, and garlic to a cold saucepan. Turn heat to medium and sauté for approximately one minute, or until garlic becomes softened.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes before adding the sliced mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until they soften and release liquid, approximately 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining butter. Add Arborio rice and sauté until thoroughly coated, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add white wine and stir constantly until wine is completely absorbed.
- Add one cup warm broth to pan and stir constantly until it is completely absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, one cup at a time, until it is all incorporated and the rice has achieved a rich, creamy consistency. This process should take approximately 25 – 30 minutes. (If you want a creamier texture, add more broth until you achieve the results you desire).
- Remove from heat and stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary. Add mushroom mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with additional fresh rosemary, if desired. Serve immediately.